Friday, October 20, 2017

Week 15 story: The Summoning of ?

A simple medieval man.

I walk into the summoning room for what is to be my last summoning. I hope this goes well and I don’t get yet another oddball. When my instructor notices me, he says, “Welcome. Are you excited to meet the last servant you will summon?”

I reply sarcastically with, “Can’t wait to see what lunatic I get stuck with this time. Hopefully it’s someone that’s low maintenance. I’ve already got my hands full with all the other servants running amok.”

My instructor replies with, “I’m sure it’s not all bad. Well, let’s get this started.”

I stand before the summoning circle for the last time. After taking a deep breath, I perform the summoning ritual for the final time. What appears is-

“Hello, master. I’m of the saber class, though I have no name to go by. I hope I will be of help to you.” So says the rather plain looking man before me who is wearing plain, medieval, clothes and holding a plain sword and shield.

I reply with, “What do you mean you have ‘no name?’ You have to have a name to be a Heroic Spirit, right?”

The nameless man smiles at me and says, “I truly have no name. I am merely a peasant who has accomplished a heroic feet. Nothing more.”

What does that mean? I look towards my instructor and ask, “Could you please explain what’s going on? Is this a glitch in the system?”

My instructor takes a moment to think and then says, “I don’t believe so. I think the man before is the embodiment of the ‘peasant hero.’ A nameless individual that has accomplished some great feat, but name was never recorded in history.”

So that’s it huh? My final servant is the biggest oddball of them all! I didn’t have high expectations for my final summoning, but to get a servant that has no name is a letdown. I sigh and say, “Nothing came be done now. Welcome aboard whoever you are. Try not to get demolished by my other servants.”

The nameless man replies with, “As you wish, master.”

And so ends my final summoning.


Author’ Notes:
Here is my last story. I wanted to go with a rather ambiguous hero. So, after reading the Russian Folktale unit which has many peasants doing heroic things, I settled on the concept of a peasant hero. That is why I made this Heroic Spirit not be a specific person but the embodiment of the “peasant hero.” For the class, I made him a Saber for no particular reason. He could have been summoned as any Class.

Bibliography. "Russian Folktales" from Russian Fairy Tales: A Choice Collection of Muscovite Folk-lore by W. R. S. Ralston. Web Source.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Colton. Very interesting story you have here.I see you are a lot further in the class than I am as well. Taking the origin from the Russian Folklore unit about all the peasants and turning them into one form is a good idea. That means this might be the strongest servant at of all of them if you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colton, I love ambiguous heroes. Have you ever seen Thor? I know that Loki is seen as the villain, but he could definitely be an ambiguous hero if you think about it. My only comment about your story is to try to make your dialogue sound as though people are actually speaking. People sometimes make it too formal and it throws off the authenticity. Otherwise, great job!

    ReplyDelete